Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Going to the Sun Mountain

I don’t remember the dream at all, but I woke up one morning with the opening paragraph in my head, along with the name “Glacia”.
       I’ve never been to Alaska, but snowy places pop up a lot in my dreams. Probably because I hate the cold. Our subconscious is a playground for our anxieties, after all. Once I dreamt about a weird radio station called “Alask”. And sometimes I dream about another ice age.
Anyway, I scribbled down the story’s opening before I could forget it. I had no idea who the narrator was or what any of it meant. No clue who she had killed or why. All I had was her weird voice. So I just followed where it led and the story blossomed from there.
       It's a story I'm very fond of and I was so happy when it was accepted by Black Static, for issue 49. It's my Black Static debut, in fact! I'm in some stellar company and I hope it won't be the last time something of mine graces its deep black pages.
       If you like it, please let me know. I'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment