Monday, 19 October 2015

Two Five Seven

“Two . . . Five . . . Seven . . .”
Do you hear that? Listen.
“Nine . . . One . . . Six . . .”
That’s the girl who lives inside the radio. And that’s all she says. Just numbers. Sometimes she sings too.
“I once had a sweet little doll, the prettiest doll ever known…”
The radio belongs to my grandpa. It’s a huge wooden one like they have in old movies and it takes up a whole corner of the living room. It’s shiny red-brown and it reminds me of a big beetle. The dials look like spinning eyes, which is kind of creepy, and you turn them to find stations to listen to. You can even hear stations from countries on the other side of the world.
One night I heard a voice. It scared me because I thought there was someone in the house, someone who shouldn’t be there. I froze like ice, listening as hard as I could, so hard my ears hurt.
Then the voice came again. It sounded really far away and all it said was a number. Then another one. There were some scratchy high sounds too and I realised the voice was coming from the radio. But it wasn’t music or the news. It was the voice of a little girl like me.

cover art: Paul Mudie
-----------------

That's from my story "Two Five Seven", from the Eleventh Black Book of Horror. This marks my fifth appearance in the series, published by Mortbury Press. It's a series I'm extremely proud to be a part of. The stories are consistently good, as is the gorgeous cover art by Paul Mudie.

Here's the full Table of Contents:

TWO FIVE SEVEN - Thana Niveau
EAST WICKENDEN - Edward Pearce
SLAUGHTERED LAMB - Tom Johnstone
FORGIVE US NOT OUR TRESPASSES - John Llewellyn Probert
LORD OF THE SAND - Stephen Bacon
ALMA MATER - Kate Farrell
KEEPING THE ROMANCE ALIVE - Stuart Young
TEATIME - Anna Taborska
LEM - David A. Riley
FLIES - Tony Earnshaw
AND THE DEAD SHALL SPEAK - David Williamson
EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY - Marion Pitman
THE WEATHERVANE - Sam Dawson
MOLLI & JULLI - John Forth


No comments:

Post a Comment