Monday, 3 November 2014

The Calling of Night's Ocean

Interzone no. 255 marks my very first SF publication. It's a story I'm extremely proud of and one that's very close to my heart.

I wanted to explore a subject that’s always fascinated and horrified me – the 1960s experiments with dolphin communication, particularly the LSD-assisted ones pioneered by Dr John C Lilly, he of SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) and ECCO (Earth Coincidence Control Office) fame. There’s a whole galaxy of story ideas in his various research endeavours but I’d always wanted to write about the dolphins.

I love dolphins. Once upon a time I thought about becoming a marine biologist (since I couldn’t be a professional mermaid) and, while that didn’t happen, I never lost my love of dolphins. I'm sure this won't be my only dolphin story, or indeed my only story told by a non-human narrator. I find the ocean and its creatures endlessly fascinating and I've got loads of ideas drifting around in my head. One day they will all rise to the surface. (See what I did there?)

Anyway, I'm super chuffed about my SF "debut" - and in Interzone no less! I couldn't be more delighted with the story illustration by Martin Hanford and I can't wait to get my hands on the actual magazine.



No comments:

Post a Comment