Thursday, 1 September 2011

Severed heads

The Eighth Black Book of Horror from Mortbury Press is unique in that it not only contains some great horror stories - it also features the severed heads of all the authors on the cover!

I seem to be alive, however. That's me upside-down in the middle, looking horrified as the others bleed all over me. And the usually dapper Lord P looks very pale and tragic indeed. Perhaps it's because Tina Rath is screaming behind him.

These books are a must for any horror fan, not least because of Paul Mudie's always fantastic covers. I was reading the series long before I found myself trapped in its pages. Number 8 features my story "The Coal-Man", a revenge-gone-wrong tale of two sisters who torment each other with stories of the evil Coal-Man who lives in the cellar. Escalating the game eventually proves deadly for one of them and the past haunts and finally catches up to the surviving girl.


 The stories:

QUIETA NON MOVERE - Reggie Oliver
THE LAST COACH TRIP - David A. Riley
HOME BY THE SEA - Stephen Bacon
BOYS WILL BE BOYS - David Williamson
BEHIND THE SCREEN - Gary Fry
THE OTHER TENANT - Mark Samuels
TOK - Paul Finch
LITTLE PIG - Anna Taborska
CASUALTIES OF THE SYSTEM - Tina & Tony Rath
HOW THE OTHER HALF DIES - John Llewellyn Probert
MUSIC IN THE BONE - Marion Pitman
THE COAL-MAN - Thana Niveau
MEA CULPA - Kate Farrell

1 comment:

  1. Love your site. Congratulations on getting a story published in the Black Book of Horror. Like you, I love this series too, and am planning to submit a few of my own stories in the hope they'll like them.

    Regards
    Alan
    Horror Writer & Webmaster
    www.trueghoststories.co.uk

    ReplyDelete